About Prince George County, Virginia
Prince George County was named for Prince George of Denmark, the husband of England’s Queen Anne. The county was formed from the part of Charles City County (then a Shire) that was divided by the James River. From May 1607 until 1613, the area that would become Prince George County was a corporation of the Virginia Company. Monthly courts were held on this land from about 1623 until it became inconvenient for the settlers on the south side of the James River to make the water crossing. In August of 1702 the General Assembly declared the lands of Charles City County on the south side of the river to be Prince George County. After the General Assembly action, the County officially was established in July of 1703.